Thursday, January 06, 2011

Chocoholics, Take Note

I don't have much of a sweet tooth. This means when I get around to eating chocolate, I like it dark, strong, subtle and barely sweet... like my coffee. What were you thinking?

One of my delightful Kitchen Coaching clients introduced me to the Chocri folks, a web company that allows you to customize a chocolate bar with all kinds of craziness for about $10.

You can add candied rose petals, sour cherries, sea salt and other fancypants toppings, or let out your inner 5th grader and add banana chips, pop rocks and gummi bears.

Usually with DIY chocolate items the bar itself is crap, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dark and milk bars. It's probably because it's a German company; Europeans respect their chocolate much more than we do.

My favorite creation entailed dried sour cherries, fennel and pistachios, a riff on Persian deliciousness. The chocolate wasn't overly sweet nor waxy, but had a delightful intensity and balanced flavors. Plus the packaging is totally cute:

So indulge yourself or a friend (your favorite food blogger?) as you slog through the winter doldrums; this is a brilliant gift that fits just about anyone.

1 comment:

Debbie Day said...

Mmmm...candied rose petals, please. :)